San Francisco Veterans Day Parade: 11am
The parade starts at 2nd and Market Streets and proceeds along North-West on market to Seventh and McAllister, right on McAllister to Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, left on Goodlett passing the reviewing stand across from City Hall main entrance; then to Grove Street. The Ohlone people and Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi join the Veteran For Peace Contingent.
Muwekma Ohlone Gourd Dance & Healing Ceremony
Gourd Dance: 1:30pm, Healing Ceremony: 2pm
At the Memorial Grove between the Veterans Building and the Performing Arts Center 401 and 301 Van Ness Avenue.
Chief Tony Cerda will present the Congress of American Indians’ “Warriors Medal of Valor” to individuals and organizations—honoring and remembering Veterans who suffered the unbearable horrors of war to the extent that they have taken their lives.
The Family of Reuben Paul “Chip” Santos will participate in the ceremonies, honoring their son on the 1st year memorial of his death. They cope with his loss. Chip took his life six years after returning from Iraq he was raised in Daly City. He was a member of the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon.
More about the Ohlone.
More about Ruben Paul “Chip” Santos
- The Bay Area Citizen Reuben Paul Santos
- A Memorial
- Veterans For Common Sense Surge in Post War Veterans Deaths
- New York Times After Service, Veteran Deaths Surge
- New America Media Surviving War, But Not The Peace
- Democracy Now War’s Hidden Death Toll
- Free Internet Press Veterans Suicides Outnumber US Military Deaths In Iraq and Afghanistan