Spring 2012 Veterans For Peace Tour to Viet Nam
April 17 -May 1, 2012
Due February 12: Full Payment $2,000 ($2,060 credit card)
Contact: Nadya Williams firstname.lastname@example.org
or leave a comment here
The only overseas chapter of Veterans For Peace, the Hoa Binh (Peace) Chapter 160 of VFP in Viet Nam, are inviting up to 10 vets and non-vet activists (minimum 5 people) to come as a group this Spring, 2012, for an insider’s 2-week tour. They are asking each person to bring $1,000 as a donation to VFP or other projects in Viet Nam – you chose. If $1,000 donation is not possible, part of this – or a commitment to send the remainder after return to the US – would be fine.
Tuesday, April 17 to Tuesday, May 1, 2012.(to include the April 30th Liberation Day ceremonies in Ho Chi Minh City – of which the group will be a part!)
Tour Coordinators and Leaders
- Suel Jones – ex-Marine, VN combat vet, lives in VN half of each year since 1998, volunteers with Viet Namese victims of Agent Orange (AO), lives in Da Nang.
- Chuck Searcy – ex-VN vet, lives in VN full time since 1995. Director of ProjectRENEW – clearing landmines & unexploded ordinance, lived in Ha Noi.
- Chuck Palazzo – ex-VN vet, lives in VN full time, volunteers with Viet Namese victims of AO.
Participants pay for: their own airfare to and from Viet Nam. We’ve found a Great $925 round trip from San Francisco! (details below) in-country tour cost of $2,000 per person (all-inclusive: hotels, transport, meals, guides & translators), in addition to the $1,000 donation. Visa fee is $80 – we can give all details and help facilitate visas – very easy.
Itinerary: (working draft schedule)
- SUN 15 APR: San Francisco – be at airport by 10:30 pm Sunday night.
- MON 16 APR: Depart SF Airport (SFO) 1:35 am (1 ½ hours after midnight, Sunday night/Monday morning)
- TUE 17 APR: Arrival 9:40 am in Ha Noi – you’ll be met at the airport & taken to hotel.
- WED 18 APR: Meet with PACCOM & Viet Nam Union of Friendship Organizations. Veterans Association of Viet Nam briefing then visit to Army Museum & “Ha Noi Hilton” (prison where US pilots were held).
- THU 19 APR: See Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, tour Temple of Literature, lunch at Koto.
Afternoon visit to Friendship Village (residence & hospital for Agent Orange (AO) victims)..
- FRI 20 APR: Fly to Hue (evening or night flight) or optional overnight sleeper train.
- SAT 21 APR: Orphanage visit arranged by vet Don Blackburn. Viet Nam Association of Victims of Agent Orange/Dioxin (VAVA) visit to AO families.
- SUN 22 APR: Tour The Citadel (site of the 1968 Tet Offensive battle), Tu Duc’s Tomb & Thien Mu Pagoda.
- MON 23 APR: Drive to Dong Ha city, visit Project RENEW (land mine & unexploded ordinance clearance); Tour DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) & Vinh Moc Tunnels. Overnight in Dong Ha.
- TUE 24 APR: Truong Son Cemetery & Khe Sanh (fmr. US base), drive down Ho Chi Minh Trail to A Luoi Valley (major site of battles). Overnight.
- WED 25 APR: Drive from A Luoi thru Hue. Bus (or train) to Da Nang, overnight.
- THU 26 APR: Agent Orange briefing & Da Nang airport cleanup site. VAVA visit with AO families.
- FRI 27 APR: China Beach, Marble Mountain, Hoi An (restored Chinese city on canals), My Son Cham ruins.
- SAT 28 APR: Flight to Nha Trang, VAVA meeting and family visits, beach time.
- SUN 29 APR: Fly to Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), Reconciliation Palace, War Remnants Museum, Cu Chi Tunnels, other optional visits.
- MON 30 APR: Take part in Liberation Day ceremony (7:00 a.m.), remainder of the day open for site-seeing, relaxing, shopping, etc.
- TUE 01 MAY: Depart HCMC at 4:50 pm for U.S.
Arrive back in San Francisco (SFO) at 7:20 pm. Will be met by VFP Chapter 69 members: drive to accommodations in SF, or onward flights to your homes.
RECOMMENDED FLIGHT: Best & Lowest $925
Scandia Travel Unlimited
55 New Montgomery Street, Suite 307
San Francisco, CA 94105
Tele: (415) 552-5300
Fax: (415) 243-0234
Hours: M – F 9 – 5 (PST)
Contact: Michelle Campillo – primary staffer for the Tour
Price: $925 (including tax, round trip, San Francisco (SFO) to Viet Nam and back)
Notification: Reservations should be made by mid-January to secure this price! Each person on the tour needs to contact Scandia asap & secure your ticket.
DEPARTURE from SFO: Monday, April 16, 2012 @ 1:35 am ( SUNDAY NIGHT APRIL 15TH!)
China Air #2031 to Taipei (1.5 hour stopover), arr Taipei April 17 @ 6:00, leave # 579 @ 7:30 am.
ARRIVAL Ha Noi Tuesday, April 17 @ 9:40 am
DEPARTURE from Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) Tuesday, May 1 @ 4:50 pm
China Air #570 to Taipei (2 hour stopover), Arr. Teipei @ 9:15pm, Leave # 2030 @ 11:10 pm
ARRIVAL SFO Tuesday, May 1 @ 7:20pm
By Feb. 12 Full Payment of the $2,000
Make checks Payable to: “Veterans For Peace, San Francisco Ch. 69”
Write in Memo Line: “Spring Tour to Viet Nam”
Mail to: Veterans For Peace, Chapter 69
P.O. Box 40430
San Francisco, CA 94140
Send Steve Noetzel our VFP SF Ch. 69 Treasurer, and Nadya email@example.com, a short message to let us know your check is in the mail. We will confirm receipt.
Steve Noetzel: C – (415) 378-8214 H – (415) 641-8740 firstname.lastname@example.org
BY CREDIT CARD:
You can pay the $2,000 (for the land cost of the 2-wk tour) through the Veterans For Peace National office in Saint Louis, MO. The Credit Card total is $2,060. $60 is added to cover the 3% bank charge. The office will then send us a check for you.
Credit card charges are handled by:
Virginia Druhe, Office Manager, Veterans For Peace National Office.
She’s there: Mon., Tues., Thurs. & Fri. 8a.m. – 5:30p.m.
You can give Virginia your card info over the phone.
Or you can go onto the Veterans For Peace national website: www.veteransforpeace.orgpay and pay there—add a note that it is for the Viet Nam trip. Give Virginia an email/phone heads up that it is there. The money goes into the VFP bank account overnight.
As soon as we receive payment, I can put you in INK & NOT PENCIL on our list.
Some website to look at:
The Hoa Binh Viet Nam, Chapter 160 of Veterans For Peace Blog
Questions? Contact ASAP:
Veterans For Peace, San Francisco Ch. 69
Director of Communications www.vsasf.org and www.veteransforpeace.org
Vietnam Agent Orange Relief and Responsibility Campaign www.vn-agentorange.org
Global Exchange www.globalexchange.org
War Crimes Times Contributing Editor www.warcrimestimes.org